Friday, June 6, 2008

Prague, Czech Republic - Day 3

Location: Outside our room, Hostel U Melounu

Hii! I'm pretty sad that today's our last day in Prague, despite the first day's weird experiences. We saw some of Prague's most beautiful sights today.

Started off by getting breakfast from the hostel, and taking a tram to the Old Town, as we'd decided last night. So we've got a glimpse of the night life and the day life at Staré Město. We walked from the tram stop along the same road that gave us those brilliant shots of Prague Castle last night, and so we decided to stop and take some daylight photos of the castle.


Me with breakfast and Krups with the guide book, and Prague Castle

Staré Město was as busy as it was last night. In fact, they were getting ready for a big anniversary celebration of something, which I couldn't understand. But there were lots of costumed people and we even saw a wedding about to take place there!

The whole square (Namesti) was surrounded by tourist spots. On one side was the Church of Our Lady in front of Týn. One side had the St. Nicholas Church, which we entered for free. And the other side had the famous Astronomical Clock. On the sides of the clock were Vanity, The Miser, Death and The Turk. These came out when the clock struck and performed different actions. There were also the mobile 12 Apostles above the dials. The dials themselves were very informative, showing us a calendar, solar movement, lunar movement, the equinoxes, etc. We couldn't really figure them out, unfortunately :(


Neela and I at the Church of Our Lady in front of Týn


The huge gorgeous crystal chandelier in St. Nicholas' Church


Astronomical Clock

Me pointing at the roadsign, which translates to Old Town Square



Right next to the Astronomical Clock was the Old Town City Hall and its tower. Paying a small fee, we got to go up the tower and get a lovely panoramic view of Prague.


Prague Castle in the background


Prague's Old Town Square


Another Angle

Once we were done with the panorama (and it was quite chilly up there!), we decided to head to the majestic Prague Castle which we'd seen from so many angles but not up close! We had to cross a bridge, on the other side of the Charles Bridge this time, and we got a different view of the Vltava river and the castle.


Czech tram and Prague Castle


Right before going up, we spotted a little stall that sold Fried CHEESE which we'd been dreaming about since our first day here! And it wasn't too expensive. So we sat ourselves down along the stairs up the castle with a nice view of the tourist going up, and had a little picnic :P


Neela, Krups and Fried Cheese in bread!

Unfortunately, it wasn't as good as we'd dreamed it would be :( Couldn't really taste the cheese! But we were pretty hungry so we managed to finish it all up. The taste kinda grew on me after my third bite actually. I wish we'd gotten a chance to try it at another place. Anyway, we continued our walk up and first thing we saw was the beautiful St. Vitus Cathedral, which is what is so prominent from all over the city. And the building on the other side was the St. George's Basilica.


Krups and I in front of the St. George's Basilica


St. Vitus Cathedral

We were really upset about the construction going on, which definitely spoilt the beauty of the cathedral. Hopefully it's not like this wherever we go, but so far in Vienna, there was always something blocking our view of the different places we went to. Sigh. Bad timing I guess. Anyway, we went into the cathedral and it was really huge. Managed to get another view of Prague! And a nice group photo.

Prague's panorama from Prague Castle


After that, as we were running out of time, we went directly to the Golden Lane which was made up of little houses and really nice shops, selling very interesting things like marionettes and puzzles.


Along Golden Lane

After that, we went to check out the famous Prague pubs. And I made use of the free toilet (too much info, sorry :P) We were the ONLY ones there! Too early for drinking I guess :P


Inside a pub in Prague


After that, we walked back really slowly to the tram stop, stopping at the souvenir shops on the way. I did lots of souvenir shopping here. The slogan "czech me out" seemed popular among all the stuff here so I thought it was perfect for teenu :D After all that shopping and a quick dinner, we stopped by at another pub near our hostel, to finish up our spare cash. This time, the pub was full and they ALL majorly stared at us coz like I said, Indians are REALLY rare here! We only saw a few at the castle. About 5 or 6. I hope it's better at other places! Neela's mom just told her that Switzerland's FULL of Indians so guess the Swiss will be more used to us heh.

Anyway, after we got home, we were informed by our Canadian roommate that the only tubelight in our room is fused! So I have no idea how we're gonna pack up for tomorrow morning. I'd better go now. Looong bus journey tomorrow so need to be well-rested! Goodnight.

No comments: